The oldest Prague Bridge crosses the Vltava river. It was built in the place of the Judith Bridge that had been destroyed by a flood in 1342. The building began in 1357 during reign of Charles IV and was supervised by Peter Parler. Originally, the bridge was called the Stone Bridge or the Prague Bridge but has been the "Charles Bridge" since 1870. Both ends of the bridge are fortified by towers (the Lesser Town Bridge Towers, the Old Town Bridge Tower). From 1683 to 1928 thirty mostly baroque sculptures and sculptural groups of the saints were gradually set on the bridge piers (M. Braun, F. M. Brokof, etc.) The bridge is 516 meters long and 10 meters wide.
During the night the Charles Bridge is a quiet place. But during the day it changes its face into a very busy place, with painters, owners of kiosks and other traders alongside numerous tourists crossing the bridge.