Although getting around Prague by public transportation is very easy and convenient, in some cases you might welcome taxi services, especially when travelling with a lot of luggage, at night or you need to get to a distant part of Prague. Unfortunately, Prague taxi drivers have become “famous” for their dishonesty and rudeness.
There are some simply tips that might save you a few hundred crowns:
- Don´t take a taxi that is parked at main tourist spots - in front of the train station, Castle, Wenceslas Square etc.
- Make sure that taxi is registered and you know the company name, license number and rates (printed on both front doors)
- The yellow roof lamp must be permanently installed and must say TAXI in black letters on both sides
- You should always know an estimate price before your ride
- Make sure that the rate on the taximeter corresponds to the price list posted in the car and that taxi driver do not have “turbo switch” installed (price on the meter will run like crazy)
- You have the right to request a printed receipt from the driver
- Highly recommended to order a taxi by phone from one of reliable taxi companies